Wait. What?

When he isn't talking your ear off about existentialism, pro-wrestling and the incredibly interesting things that happen in his comparatively mundane life, Dan occasionally writes the poetry he mentions so often. Here it is.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Rain Check





It's just gone 9, as we leave down the path
Dog pulls stops then sniffs as I trundle on past
Down the street as I fiddle with gloves round the corner
adjusting my collar when...

Dusty awe, settles
on a slowing instant gaze

Lights

Street head flood big company signs
Like Embers in smoke or
'Close Encounters' on an old fuzzy screen

I know what they are but for now they are not
Just lights
But silent amber stars, resting
Nestled in a misty bedding

On clearer nights they hum as chorus
The denser parts buzz
Drops of cream on orange streets
With a painter's twitch of red or blue
Like discrete spills

Just for now, it is the valley's eternal slumber
The frosted glass of late-winter's night
Both a mask and its casket

Dog presses on
And so, do I
---

Ten coming to and full circle walked
We return at the hilltop
to jot pen to pad in my head
But gone is this spectacle promising rhyme

Now fog bogs the valley
The stars hang mute
And not in silence's melody
But the piercing ring of songs ended

Still, I smile
And knowing why
Look on

The whole dog wags and I
Consider a fleeting moment's joy, yet
 Poetic as a walk can be
Dog stinks of wet, and jumps on me

 So thought switches to you, my absent friend
And the rain check you took to stay home and dry
So to give me this evening to share with the valley
 And knowing I might preserve it thus

It is kept forever, for both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment